That's the second server move inside of twelve months... ►
◄ My review: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 2005
It's a massive improvement on 1.1.4, but there are still many simple things missing.
- The toolbar Zoom icon. Rather than allowing you to type in a zoom percentage, or even showing a menu of commonly used settings, you can only click to open a window to do so. Right-clicking on the current zoom at the bottom of the screen does give you a menu, so why not give the same option on the main toolbar?
- The page view isn't centered, so it looks like the second of these two images:
Am I missing an option somewhere?
- Horizontal scrollbars are handled in a very odd manner. On the main window you can either show one or not, unlike virtually all other applications which decide by context to show a horizontal scrollbar if there's more content to the left or right.
- You don't seem to be able to turn the Office 2003 styling off. It's nice that the GUI team are going out of their way to provide draggable toolbars which approximate those of Microsoft's office suite, but it looks badly out of place on non-XP systems.
- Toolbar control is still minimal. You can't drag icons around on them, can't drag icons from one toolbar to another, have to go through a clunky dialogue with up/down buttons to order them, etc. If you have multiple toolbars on one line, you can't decide for yourself how much of each gets shown.
- Rulers are either on or off: you can't make a ruler appear by hovering the mouse. There's also a large space-wasting gap at the top between the page and toolbars.
- An opportunity seems to have been missed to turn the Gallery feature into a file browser for clipart. That would be immediately useful, rather than having to add tens of thousands of files manually into categories when they're (in most cases) already organised into directories.
I should stress that this is still a preview version, not a finished 2.0 product. Those interested now can download it here: http://download.openoffice.org/680/index.html
Import of Word documents also isn't great; every one I've opened so far has required formatting adjustment. Particular problems seems to lie with text wrapped around images and with the font size applied to the empy last line of a document.